Thursday, April 12, 2012

Patch Job #1 : What to do with the Hair 1001:36

I've mucked around with "going gray" for a few years now.  My favorite hairstylist assured me for a long time that I did NOT want to go gray, because I was too young, even though I qualify for Senior discounts in some places.   I began to suspect that she might have vested interested in my pricey layered hair dyeing.  That unkind thought has been laid to rest, however, because as she noted the other day while clipping me up:  "youre past the point of no return now."  My hair has been "growing out" long enough that it actually looks more salt-and-pepper than it does brass-ends-of-old-dye jobs.   A relief.  I've commited and am through the looking-glass. Now, about the other side....

I like my salt-and-pepper.  Many people have said "oh it makes a woman look so old when she goes gray."  Well its true that it looks old, but on the other hand its way easier to deal with, and cheaper than, monthly dye jobs.  And it encourages me to accept my ageing, I hope, a little more gracefully when I look at it every day in such a succint form.  A voice in the wilderness for those following this path:  gray hair doesn't look nearly as old as overweight and out of shape does, nor as much as "feeling" old does.  State of health, state of mind--these override hair color.

Kudos to the classy women with gray hair, stylishly dressed and groomed, and just as distinguished as some old men look--Sean Connery being a classic example of Great and Gray.  Gray hair is very cool, hard-earned (for some of us, although some get it the easy way in their 20s), and is a beautiful or handsome that sits easily past the point of no return of youth, procreation.  Gray hair doesn't advertise breeding potential.  Nope, we're too tired to breed, just let us think about it,  a lot's happened over the years for us to access if we can remember it.

True that gray hair is hard to handle: my naturaly curly hair has added Brillo-pad texture now that hair dye no longer soothes it into submission.  And yeah, brillo-pad gray DOES look classically "old".  However, there are oils to be had and heating rods to be applied, and an embarrassing variety  of hair spray products that lend a hand in taming. 

So what do you think?  I can always use buttressing. Or validation. 

And then there's losing hair......

6 comments:

  1. I know that you will be able to come up with a way to make the salt and pepper combination frame those blue eyes of yours. Actually, I've seen planty of women with beautiful gray hair. I had this unruly wiry hair that I could do nothing with except let it grow naturally. I really don't miss it, no matter how old being bald mekes me look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Connery has unruly hair. And a beard. And is balding, and one of the hottest guys on the planet, many women think... beauty in the eye of, right? :-)

      Delete
  2. Salt and pepper are serious spices. Not getting older, just spicier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olive! I am still highlighting through/around the gray hair, but this way it's an every 4 month expense. The last couple months with my ISCC scar right on the top of my head, I've been swirling it up in a clip to let the ends tumble over it. Several colleagues have thought the look elegant, but man, the gray along the sides is quite prominent! Now hair loss...I'm still processing that with this ordeal. Definitely harder that hair turning gray..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good styling tip, Home Girl! In fact my NEXT meditation on Hair is: Losing It!!

      Delete