Sunday, May 6, 2012

Of Hair and Self (part 3, I think).........55:1001

Self-Image is inescapable in the U.S., betwixt mirrors, mass media, and other people's opinions.  We Know Us by Reflection.  That Reflection changes over time.  If we live long enough, there are BIG changes.  It's strange  to see pictures of me now, and pictures of me from 1-59 years ago.  Did someone airbrush not only the metabolic rate, but also the bone structure?  Okay, maybe not the bone structure, just the muscle tone.

As a lifelong dedicated observer and artist of the human body, I know in my head that photos fall way short of what we look likeProjections of self to the world are far different than self-image Reflections.  Looks are composite: physical atrributes, mental attributes, driving philosophy. The way we move, groom,  turn our head, raise our eyes, smile, put one foot in front of another.  As an artist, I'm all in favor of pretty looking things, but "beautiful" is spelled i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g, defined as many small things.

Of course, photos are easier for quick reference.

It's not possible to know ourselves, the way someone who loves us--or is otherwise forced to see us everyday--can know us.  But photos are an accepted way to satisfy our curiousity about our image.  Photos can be manipulated to our advantage. We can cover up our feet, our gut, fix our teeth.  We can do some useful things to hair, too, for a Captured Moment.  Ancient Egypt seems like a practical cultural model for hair, with shaved heads and wigs.  And whether in History or in photos, hair is an up-front Big Alteration to Self Image when we get old.  For better or worse, Hair-Image invokes our sexuality.  Going Gray = Losing Reproductive Sexuality.  I, personally, like to think it moves us along to another kind of sexuality, maybe Maturely ProvidentOr something. I'd say Grateful, but that's age non-specific.


Yeah, hair Gauges the Changes.  In college, early 70's, I escaped from childhood home perms to Hair Freedom.  Under room-mate tutelage,  my natural curl grew wild, without controlling hair spray, rollers or other popular diversions of the era.  Later in life I moved on to electric stuff, rollers, rods.  Did some time with hair brushes and blowers.  Went into a Let It Be stage again.  And someday I'll look back and gauge how my hair stage, today, compares.

Alfred Lord Tennyson advised poetically in Ulysses, " Let us row then to the West, for something yet remains . . . . "  I apply this advice to my hair.   It's not dead yet. There are still interesting things it could do, despite being old.   Like: since my favorite trusted hair stylist is taking a road trip (again) the hair has grown a little longer (in horizontal stripes of New Gray and Old Brassy Dyed).  So,  feeling  Tennysonian the other day, I twisted it into a clip and a 60's French Twist.  I documented this foray into Self-Image with a picture.  I do not love the camera, and it does not love me.  I have to trust you a lot with a camera in your hands.

My favored spot to capture me is in front of the bathroom mirror, where I can see the image captured in the camera viewer reflected in the mirror.  (Future literary analysis: Reflected Reflection Projection.).  Also, that spot is where I designatedly think about what I look like, while brushing teeth, checking for puffiness and Bed Hair   Total Disclaimer: Due to fortunate DNA, and to Mom's incredible Luck--which I did not inherit but which covers me under her policy--I am grateful for the many years I've miraculously stayed alive.  I'm grateful I have all my limbs, I can see (with help), I can walk, I can talk, I haven't had major crippling diseases or accidents.  I've had good nutrition and shelter, all my life.  I know a lot of people who have not had my Great Good Health and Luck.  I only bemoan my personal pimple-sized vanity problems because I also know people who vacation in Hawaii and get plastic surgery.  And my World View is schizophrenic, biased, and clouded.  in front of my favorite shower stall.

So I check out my current Something Yet Remains photo, kindly.  What's new?  I have a covert look to my eyes, loss of innocence having occurred on a daily basis for 60 years. But I look capable of teaching English because of innocence-loss Acquired Knowledge, possibly manifesting in that piercing blue-eyed gaze.  Said eyes are back in the saddle with eyeglasses these days, but they are both still in place and functioning.  The famous Old Neck Look is here to stay--but neck still rotates nicely.  The cheekbones look good in 3/4 profile, some character, yeah.  Facial muscles are shifting, downward.  The Gray is good, feels honest, blends with age spots on skin. 

Yep, that is an older woman than I saw last bathroom photo session.  But I like her. Outside the photo, I happen to know she has my sense of humor.  We can do some Tennyson-ing together. We can be friends.

 Heres a great article on image, including IQ, EQ, MQ, and BQ!

3 comments:

  1. Like fine wine, or maybe cheese. Like the pic!
    Ya gotta have hair, for your hair to turn gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, My advice is to get over the hair thing and shave it off. The Drill Seargent Look is a chick magnet, I hear.

      Delete
  2. I've been told that before.

    ReplyDelete