Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spot Patch #2: Losing It (1001: 88, randomly)

Right on, Home Girl (thanks for the comment on the last post).  Losing the hair is, beyond Going Gray, another Reality Hit of surviving past youth.   Kiss luxurious and sexually-appealing locks "Goodbye."  Hair is now a signal of Grit, Gray, and Gone--all of which marks us as Survivors, which is a good thing.  It's part of the gap in self-image between youthful sexuality and senior sexualtiy; as a senior, gender appeal tends to pool towards the ability to move freely about, to stay clean and groomed, to have a good sense of humor, and maturity.   It's okay that the rules change, as long as I can figure out the rules.  I like to stay ahead of the game, and it makes me feel pretty good to push past into the Challenge Game. 

Guys who lose hair, especially young men, don't like it much.  However, in the decades since TV actor Telly Savalas projected Kojak-the-hard-boiled-detective as an overweight and unconventional sex image, things have changed.  Always a good thing.  Now, its common to see hot younger guys who buff up and shave down and generally decorate the landscape in a good way.  Coming from a distinctly military and conservative clutch of male friends, relatives, and neighbors in my youth, I see shaved male heads as Drill Sergeant Hot-ness, regardless of age.  (Have I mentioned Sean Connery?  Too often?)  Any guy who puts his hair loss out there like a badge shows cojones.  It is, after all, a testosterone thing to lose hair: male pattern baldness just shows up the gender difference, like spikes on a woman (did you read the Yahoo article on Shoe Rage, btw?  Women have begun to use designer spikes to attack men on the streets.  Bizarre but very interesting social development.).

Women losing hair, alas, is still developing as socially appealing.  I am watching the thin patch on the back of my head with resignation, not to mention noting the general all-over thinning reflected in my part.  Sigh.  I recall a gorgeous older woman I used to teach with, who shaved her hair and looked exotic.  She was also in great shape, which I think had a lot to do with the total look. 

No 2 ways about it, being in good shape is key to sex appeal at any age.  Dammit.  Work, work, work.  And facing the changes our body springs on us is equally appealing: it says we can cope, we are survivors, we keep on trying.  Nothing tops the appeal, respect, and honor due to someone who survives.

If I lose ten pounds, and firm up the triceps, I'll consider shaving off that hard-earned gray thats growing out.  Or trimming it down to a few wiry inches, maybe....

2 comments: